To find books on art, search the Library's online catalog or browse the art collection shelves.
Art books are shelved on the the Third Floor. Their shelf numbers (or call numbers) start with N to NX and TR. You can also do a virtual bookshelf browsing using a call number search in the library's online catalog by entering one of the N or TR shelf numbers. Reference materials with these call numbers are shelved on the First Floor.
If you do not know what to look for, start a subject search with one of the following headings:
- Visual Arts (General) (N)
- Architecture (NA)
- Sculpture (NB)
- Drawing, Design, Illustration (NC)
- Painting (ND)
- Print Media (NE)
- Decorative Arts, Applied Arts (NK)
- Arts in General (NX)
- Photography (TR)
E Reference Titles
Print Reference Titles
- Dictionary of Artists byCall Number: Ref N40 .D5213 2006
- The Encyclopedia of Sculpture byCall Number: Ref NB198 .E53
- Oxford Dictionary of American Art and Artists byCall Number: Ref N6505 .M59 2007
- Oxford Dictionary of Art byCall Number: Ref N33 .O93
- The Grove Encyclopedia of Classical Art and Architecture byCall Number: Ref N5610 .G76 2007
Search the Library Catalog
Maxwell Library uses the Library of Congress Classification System. To locate your book in the General Collection look at the first letter of the call number. If it begins with the letter A-L, it will be on the second floor. If it starts with the letters M-Z, it will be on the third floor. Reference Books and periodicals are located on the first floor and may not be checked out.