Skip to Main Content

Health Careers for BSU Students Community Guide: FAQs

Resources on Health Careers suitable for BSU students of all majors to pursue

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is there a pre-health major or minor at BSU?

A: No, there is not. Student can choose any major, as long as the complete the necessary prerequisites. 

Q: Which health professions does the pre-health advisor advise students on?

A: The pre-health advisor provides comprehensive guidance to students interested in careers in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, physician assistant, nursing, optometry, podiatry, pharmacy, and other fields. Students interested in pursuing careers in Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Chiropractic, or Athletic Training should contact the chair of the Health & Kinesiology

Q: What topics can I discuss with the pre-health advisor during an appointment?

A: We can discuss a range of topics, including careers, majors, academic prerequisites of health profession schools, standardized tests, the application process, and opportunities for clinical, volunteer, and extracurricular experiences and research.  

Q: Who is eligible to meet with a pre-health advisor?

A: Current BSU students and alumni can meet with the pre-health advisor.

Q: How do I schedule an appointment with the pre-health advisor?

A: You can make an appointment via If you have questions before you make an appointment, you can email the pre-health advisor, Dr. Alexandra Zilz. You can also find information on this website.

Q: How often should I meet with the pre-health advisor?

A: We recommend meeting once per semester or year but you are welcome to meet more often.  

Q: Do I have to take a standardized test to enter a health professions school and when should I take it? 

A: Most health profession schools require applicants take one or more standardized tests.  The pre-health advisor can help you determine when you should take the appropriate standardized test(s), which will largely be based on your application timeline.

Q: What experiences should I get outside of classes?

A: Health professions schools are looking for clinical experience (the type and amount of time varies on field), research, extracurricular and volunteer experiences. Volunteer and extracurricular experiences, can be but, do not need to be medically related so it is encouraged to explore your individual interests. Part-time work can be considered extracurricular experience. You can find opportunities through this website and through Handshake.

Q: How do I get involved in research?

A: Research does not have to be related to your major and  you can explore ANY area of interest you may have such as public health, psychology, health sciences, and more.There are many opportunities for students to get involved in research on and off campus. For on campus research opportunities, you can ask professors conducting research of interest to you, if you can join their lab. For more information about on campus research opportunities, you can visit Undergraduate Research. For off campus research, students can find opportunities through BSU professors, Career ServicesInternship Program, this website, and through Handshake.

Have Questions?

Send questions to Dr. Zilz
Make an appointment at

Follow Us

Instagram: @BSU_Prehealth

LinkedIn: BSU Pre-Health Student & Alumni Network