This guide is intended to assist you with finding books, articles and other library materials on Irish history, culture and literature. If you need assistance searching any of these sources please contact a reference librarian at (508) 531-1394 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need assistance please contact a reference librarian
Phone (508) 531-1394
Text (508) 425-4096
Or stopy by the reference desk on the first floor of the library
Search Library Catalog
To find books search the Library's Online Catalog. The following subject headings may help you get started:
See also Irish, and Ireland as subheadings (e.g. Art, Irish; Agriculture-Ireland). For assistance searching for or finding books please ask a reference librarian.
These databases require a BSU login. Please see a reference librarian if you need assistance.
- Gale Academic OneFile This link opens in a new windowAcademic Onefile contains articles from 8,000 academic journals, the majority in full-text; hundreds of podcasts and transcripts from NPR, CNN, and the CBC; and full-text New York Times content to 1995
- Academic Search Complete This link opens in a new windowA general-interest academic database which features full text for over 2,300 scholarly (peer-reviewed) journals as well as abstracts and indexing for many additional titles.
- Biography Reference Center This link opens in a new windowBiography Reference Center includes more than 461,000 full-text biographies with complete runs of Biography Today and Biography, as well as thousands of narrative biographies that are not available in other databases. This database can be searched by profession and nationality.
- MLA International Bibliography This link opens in a new windowReferences for articles from professional journals in modern languages and literatures. For 299 of these journal titles, full text is available.
- Literature Resource Center This link opens in a new windowGale's Literature Resource Center provides access to biographies, bibliographies, and critical analyses of authors from every age and literary discipline. Combining Gale Group's core literary databases in a single online service, the Literature Resource Center covers more than 120,000 novelists, poets, essayists, journalists, and other writers, with in-depth coverage of 2,500 of the most-studied authors. This database can be searched simultaneously with other Gale literature databases through Literature Resources from Gale.
- Global Issues in Context This link opens in a new windowGlobal Issues in Context offers international viewpoints on global issues, topics, and current events. Featured are hundreds of continuously updated issue and country portals that bring together a variety of sources for analysis of social, political, military, economic, environmental, health, and cultural issues. Each of these gateway pages includes an overview, unique "perspectives" articles written by local experts, reference, periodical, primary source and statistical information. Multimedia including podcasts, video, and interactive graphs enhance each portal.
- World History in Context This link opens in a new windowWorld History in Context provides information on hundreds of the most significant people, events and topics in world history over 5,000 years from antiquity to the present and geographically around the world from reference books, journals, news articles, primary source documents, images, videos, and audio files.
- Historical Abstracts with Full Text This link opens in a new windowThis database covers the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present, including world history, military history, women's history, history of education, and more. It provides historical articles from more than 2,300 journals in over 40 languages back to 1955. In addition, this database provides access to the full text of more than 330 journals and 119 books. It helps researchers especially in history and social science fields to discover significant scholarly work.
- Gender Studies Collection This link opens in a new windowIncludes approximately 440 journals covering topics in gender studies, family and marital issues, and more.
- Religion & Philosophy Collection (EBSCO) This link opens in a new windowThis database provides extensive coverage of such topics as world religions, major denominations, religious history, political philosophy, philosophy of language, moral philosophy and the history of philosophy. The database contains more than 300 full text journals, including more than 250 peer-reviewed titles.
- A to Z Maps Online This link opens in a new windowThe world's largest subscription-based database of proprietary, royalty-free world, continent, country, and state maps. Included in the 4,000+ maps are: political maps, physical maps, outline maps, population maps, precipitation maps, climate maps, and other thematic maps. New maps are added to the collection every month.
Irish History: People, Places, and Events that Built a CountryAn electronic resource - click on the title to read the book.
Myths and Legends of the CeltsAn electronic book accessible through the web. Click on the title search this work.
Lore of IrelandCall Number: GR153.5 .O156 2006Reference book located on the first floor of Maxwell Library.
Dictionary of Irish LiteratureCall Number: PR8706 .D5 1996Reference book located on the first floor of Maxwell Library.
Clement C. Maxwell Library
Journals/Newspapers A-ZUse this database to find out if Maxwell Library subscribes to a particular journal.
Interlibrary Loan/Document DeliveryLog in here to request an article from Interlibrary loan.
WorldCat This link opens in a new windowEnter through Maxwell Library (limit of one user at a time)
WorldCat - Open AccessOpen access
A to Z Maps Online This link opens in a new windowThe world's largest subscription-based database of proprietary, royalty-free world, continent, country, and state maps. Included in the 4,000+ maps are: political maps, physical maps, outline maps, population maps, precipitation maps, climate maps, and other thematic maps. New maps are added to the collection every month.