African American Studies materials can be located by browsing the following call numbers:
E184 - E185.98 [2nd floor] - African American history, biography, and genealogy
... or by searching the library catalog by subject, including the following:
African American arts
African Americans -- biography
African Americans -- history
American literature -- African American authors
Often books are an excellent source of information for certain topics in Communication Studies, a discipline that encompasses a variety of topics, ranging from the study of television and radio, to comic books, to effective communication and classic speeches, to the study of rhetoric. Try the library's online catalog to discover what books BSU owns.
Selected Print Reference Books
- Great events from history : African American history byCall Number: E185 .G754 20173 volumes
- Encyclopedia of black comics byCall Number: PN6707 .H69 2017
- African American leadership : a reference guide byCall Number: E185.615 .A59235 2015
- Historical dictionary of the civil rights movement byCall Number: E185.61 .L84 2014
- The civil rights movement in America : from Black Nationalism to the Women's Political Council byCall Number: E185.61 .C6148 2015
- Slave culture : a documentary collection of the slave narratives from the Federal Writers' Project byCall Number: E444 .S55 20143 volumes
- Encyclopedia of black radio in the United States, 1921-1955 byCall Number: PN1991.8.A35 E45 2012
- Icons of African American literature : the black literary world byCall Number: PS153.N5 I33 2011
- Women and slavery in America : a documentary history byCall Number: HT1048 .W66 2011
There are several ways to search for articles on your research topic:
- Google Scholar This link opens in a new window
If the library does not subscribe to the article or journal you need, you can still obtain it by filling out a request through Interlibrary Loan:
Selected Online Journals
African American ReviewPublishes essays on African American literature, art and culture. Contains interviews, fiction and poems.
CallalooArticles and thematic issues devoted to creative works by and critical studies of black writers in the Americas and Africa; studies of life and culture in the black world and visual art.
Journal of Black StudiesArticles containing full analytical discussion of economic, political, sociological, historical, literary and philosophical issues related to persons of African descent.
The Western journal of black studiesPublishes articles that report original investigations & contribute new knowledge & understanding to the field of Black/African American studies.
Finding E-Reference Books
Maxwell Library provides access to thousands of e-books, which can be located in a general MaxSearch as well as through specific databases, such as the following:
Credo ReferenceFull-text content from more than 260 reference titles with nearly 3 million entries covering every major subject.
DOAB - Directory of Open Access BooksDirectory of nearly 9,000 free, open access, peer-reviewed academic books and chapters from 224 publishers.
eBook Collection (EBSCO)Searchable full text for several thousand e-books on a variety of subjects.
Films on Demand Search
- Gale Academic OneFile This link opens in a new windowThe premier source for peer-reviewed, full-text articles for academic libraries from the world's leading journals, this comprehensive resource covers the physical and social sciences, medicine, engineering, the arts, technology, literature, and many other subjects. With millions of articles in both PDF and HTML full-text format and simultaneous, unlimited usage, researchers are able to find accurate, timely information quickly. Gale's InterLink technology intelligently connects contextually-relevant results from your library's eBook collection on GVRL within articles in a user's search results. The Topic Finder tool adds power and depth to searches, allowing students to mine their search results and develop their research focus in ways never before available.
- Academic Search Complete This link opens in a new windowMulti-disciplinary full-text database with more than 8,500 full-text periodicals, including more than 7,300 peer-reviewed journals. Indexes and abstracts more than 12,500 journals and a total of more than 13,200 publications including monographs, reports, and conference proceedings. Searchable cited references are provided for more than 1,400 journals.
- America: History and Life (with Full Text) This link opens in a new windowFull text coverage of the history and culture of the United States and Canada from prehistory to the present. Includes nearly 200 journals and 100 books, selective indexing for over 1,700 journals, and abstracts in English of foreign language articles.
- Biography Reference Center This link opens in a new windowMore than 430,000 full-text biographies and more than 9,000 biographies from American National Biography. Complete collections of Biography Today and Biography.
- Early American Newspapers, Series 1, 1690-1876: From Colonies to Nation This link opens in a new windowEssential newspapers from 23 states and the District of Columbia, offering 340,000 fully searchable issues from over 730 historical American titles. Based on Clarence S. Brigham’s “History and Bibliography of American Newspapers, 1690-1820” and other authoritative bibliographies.
- Historical New York Times (ProQuest News & Newspapers) This link opens in a new windowProvides genealogists, researchers and scholars with online, easily-searchable first-hand accounts and unparalleled coverage of the politics, society and events of the time, covering 1851-2013.
- JSTOR This link opens in a new windowMaxwell Library has access to more than 3,500 journal titles across the following five collections: Arts & Sciences I, II, III, IV, and Ecology and Botany I. Subject coverage includes mathematics, philosophy, anthropology, economics, history, literature, population studies, sociology, music, art, law, education, business, botany, and ecology.
- Literature Criticism Online This link opens in a new windowMaxwell Library has access to the following journals: Children's Literature, Review, Contemporary Literary Criticism, Drama Criticism, Poetry Criticism, and Short Story Criticism. This collection represents a range of modern and historical views on authors and their works across regions, eras and genres.
- Literature Resource Center This link opens in a new windowBiographical information, overviews, full-text literary criticism and reviews on more than 130,000 writers in all disciplines, from all time periods and from around the world. Includes more than 160,000 complete entries from two award-winning series - Contemporary Authors and Dictionary of Literary Biography - for in-depth biographical, bibliographical, and contextual information on authors’ lives and works.
- Project MUSE This link opens in a new windowAn interdisciplinary collection of more than 650 high quality, peer reviewed journals designed for institutions acquiring extensively in the humanities and social sciences.
- U.S. History in Context This link opens in a new windowMillions of news and periodicals, reference works, and more than 5,000 rare primary source documents providing contextual information on hundreds of the most significant people, events, and topics in U.S. history.
- Women and Social Movements in the United States, 1600-2000 This link opens in a new windowMore than 120 document projects and archives with 5,100 documents and more than 170,000 pages of additional full-text documents, written by 2,700 primary authors. It also includes book, film, and website reviews, notes from the archives, and teaching tools relating to the history of women in social movements in the U.S. between 1600 and 2000.