- Students typically apply to Commonwealth Honors before or during the first semester of their freshmen year. Ideally they should have a high-school GPA of 3.3 or higher and combined SAT scores of 1170 or higher or an ACT score of at least 24, as well as a well-written 500-600 word essay.
- Transfer students who participated in Honors at their previous institution should declare themselves to the Honors Program so they can participate at BSU.
- Commonwealth Honors students must complete Departmental Honors to graduate with Commonwealth Honors.
- Students must complete 21 credits of Honors work. The first twelve credits are completed at the 100-200 level and come from: three- or four-credit Honors-designated courses, one-credit Honors-designated colloquia, or waiving up to three credits by participating in Fall Book Club, study abroad, and/or presenting at a regional or national conference. Nine credits come from Departmental Honors.
- Every student who graduates with Honors must complete an Honors thesis.
Mathematics Departmental Honors
- Students apply to Departmental Honors prior to taking or as they begin to take 300- and 400-level courses. Ideally they should have an overall GPA and a GPA in the major of 3.3 or higher. The timing and criteria are somewhat flexible, so don’t hesitate to apply if you are interested.
- Students do not need to complete Commonwealth Honors to join Departmental Honors. Theycan graduate with Departmental Honors only.
- Students print and fill out an application for Departmental Honors, discuss it in person with the Departmental Honors Chair, get the Departmental Honors Chair's signature, and bring the original signed application to the Center for Transformative Learning in Maxwell Library, Suite 330.
- Students must complete nine hours of Honors work: one or two Honors contracts (an Honors component in a 300- or 400- level course) and a one- or two-semester thesis. The combination of thesis and contract credit must add up to nine hours. Students can submit an application to waive three departmental honors credits if they participated in the ATP Summer Research Program or another intensive research experience (REU, NASA, NSF, etc.).
- The student submits the Honors-contract proposal electronically within the first two weeks of the semester that the contract will be completed.
- The thesis application/registration process has three steps. (1) The student submits a one-paragraph abstract (summary) of the proposed project by the deadline the semester before beginning the thesis. (2) After the abstract is approved, a unique thesis course section of MATH 485 is created for the student with the Registrar’s Office, and the student registers on InfoBear after receiving an email from the Honors Program. (3) The student submits a full thesis proposal within the first two weeks of the thesis semester.
- Proposals submitted by the deadline may be revised subsequently!
- Students can undertake Interdisciplinary Honors by completing the nine Departmental Honors credits across two departments.
- Faculty receive 0.5 load credits for each Honors contract completed under their direction.
- Faculty receive 1 load credit for each thesis they advise each semester.
For more information, please visit: